Friday, November 13, 2009

your're not sorry

Songs express our emotions more clearly than words. Here is Taylor Swift in You're Not Sorry.

I tried to extend a helping hand to someone and hired a young girl to work. This was her first real job out of college. I hired her because of her exuberance, curiosity, and intelligence. She was excited to work, she said, but never showed up. It was one excuse after another. And every excuse began with "sorry". Need I say more?

Lyrics to You're Not Sorry :
All this time I was wasting hoping you would come around
I’ve been giving out chances everytime and all you do is let me down
And its taking me this long but baby I figured you out
And you think it will be fine again but not this time around

You don’t have to call anymore
I won’t pick up the phone
This is the last straw
Don’t want to hurt anymore
And you can tell me that you’re sorry
But I won’t believe you baby like I did before
You’re not sorry no more, no more, no

Lookin’ so innocent
I might believe you if I didn’t know
Could’a loved you all my life
If you hadn’t left me waiting in the cold
And you got your share of secrets
And I’m tired of being last to know
And now you’re asking me to listen
Cuz its worked each time before

lyrics from lyricsmania




Three times and counting she had an excuse for not being at work. First, "Sorry, I was confused on the starting day." Second, "Sorry, my grandmother died." Third, "Sorry, I really need more time to sort things out." For my part, I have put in seven emails and two phone calls. She emails that she will be there, but never returns a phone call.

Often, I go back in thought to that sappy line from Love Story, the one where Ryan O'Neill says to Ali McGraw, "Love means never having to say you're sorry. "Love" is just another word for commitment, dedication, support - a willingness to be there for someone else.The true test of any relationship - be it family, friendship, or work - is the test of being there, of showing up.

No comments: